Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Living in Pug Heaven - Puggy Profile #1, Wicked Wahini

I decided while I was here a few weeks ago that I wanted to take the time to profile each pug between the adventures in the Taylor Moore house. While something comical is practically guaranteed to be happening here, some nights are slower than others and don't quite warrant a full blog post.

Tonight I didn't get much time to be at the house, Kim took Aron and I to the Whidbey Island Kennel Club picnic, where we were treated with fantastic food and general dog show politics. Once we got home I had a few minutes to relax, then it was on to feeding and facebook time!

Those of you who are my friend on Facebook may understand why tonight's post is about Wahini - for those of you that aren't, you will soon find out.

I've heard from numerous people that you always want to be careful of what you name your pug. Many times a pug will grow into the persona that it's name puts out, much like my mother's little pug, Trouble. Wicked Wahini is certainly no exception to this rule.

Wahini is the one and only black pug in the Luna Pug gang. She is arch nemesis to Peanut, and she enjoys running away when you try and pick her up.

I remember a few years back hearing Cathy tell people about how Wahini had jumped into the refrigerator, and was unknowingly locked inside for a short period of time. She has also jumped into the dryer, though she never went for a tumble.

When she was younger she had come to visit our house a few times, where Blake gave her the nickname of Swahili, simply because he couldn't remember the name Wahini.

Tonight, after the pugs had eaten, I realized that Wahini was on the couch, growling at any pugs that came near. As I moved closer I realized it was food aggression - but I had no idea what there was to be aggressive over... Moments later I noticed something long and feathery hanging out of Wahini's mouth.

I think Wahini ate a bird.

I can't imagine what else would be small, black, and easily torn apart by a viscous fridge-jumping pug. I stared in disgust as she held feathers under her paw and ripped away whatever was at the other end, like a homeless man with a chicken thigh. I couldn't fathom getting close enough to see what exactly it was, but Wahini was very proud of her catch.

I told Kim to keep an eye on her so that we can make sure she doesn't get sick. I'm not sure what a bird would do to the intestinal tract of a pug.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

  1. That Wahini will get you every time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the little lady was on her best behavior when I visited. Hey she jumped in bed with me for a snuggle and she was a good mommy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you suppose she snuck up on it? Maybe got up on her tippy toes?? Maybe the bird was blind? Wow that's a new one on me. We had one unique pug once that hunted and actually deposited dead mice and shrews at our doorstep.

    I thought the hunting gene had left the breed a century or two ago!

    Please pass on our warmest thoughts to Cathy. We love to hear how she's doing.

    Perry and Megan Stanfield
    Woodcreek Pugs

    ReplyDelete